The chance to walk hand in hand by lapping shorelines and under snow-capped mountains makes the Lake District one of the most romantic spots in the UK.
But it’s not just about the hiking and walking. Here are our suggestions of the 7 best things to do in the Lake District for couples to make it a holiday to remember.
1. Gourmet tours worthy of a chef’s kiss
With so much local produce, the Lake District countryside is a foodie’s delight. Why not treat yourself to a tour of some of our local specialities?
Drive it yourself
You could follow the excellent recommendations of:
- An alternative foodie road trip by Gentleman’s Journal
- Foodie road trip in the Lake District by Olive magazine
Be our guest, be our guest…
Want to sit back and enjoy the view, and the odd tipple? There are some amazing tour guides out there. Check out:
- Private Country Pub Tour – 4 x 4 Lake Tours
2. Splash out a spa day
To truly get away from it all, what about a couple’s spa day? Enjoy relaxing treatments as well as steam rooms, spas and outdoor pools in beautiful surroundings.
3. Mouth-watering meals
On the water…
In the summer, take in the views and your food as you sail past on the water. Some boat cruises even throw in a band and a dance floor!
- Ullswater Steamers combines remarkable scenery with Fish and Chip suppers
- Windermere Lake Cruises have evening buffets throughout the summer
- Ever wanted to wine and dine on a sailing yacht? Windermere’s Sail n’ Dine experience will have you living the dream.
… Or with the (Michelin) stars
Cumbria was the location of the first ever series of The Trip for good reason. We have a smorgasbord of Michelin star restaurants tucked away in our valleys and villages.
For tasty twists on traditional dishes, check out our list of 11 must visit Michelin Star Restaurants in Cumbria
4. A sunset to remember
As the Lake District is on the western side of England, we have some breathtaking sunsets framed and reflected by mountains and lakes. The following suggestions don’t involve much of a hike:
- Castlerigg Stone Circle near Keswick
- Orrest Head above Windermere – you can see as far as the mountain tops of Coniston Old Man on a clear day
Tip: Check the sunset time on your weather app before you head out. And be sure to take some torches for the way back.
5. Cosy up in the cinema
The Lake District is home to some incredibly atmospheric cinemas. Couples can step back in time to a cocoon of comfy seats and Hollywood-era charm.
Here are some of our favourites:
- The Alhambra in Keswick
- Brewery Arts in Kendal
Want to super-size your experience? Rheged near Penrith has a standard screen and a giant 18 metre screen if you want to really immerse yourselves!
6. Coupling up for culture
During your romantic break you take in a concert, see some stand-up comedy or be transported to another world through the magic of theatre! In the Lake District, we’re spoiled for choice! Key venues include:
- Brewery Arts in Kendal
- The Old Laundry Theatre in Bowness-on-Windermere
- Theatre by the Lake in Keswick
- In the summer, keep an eye out for outdoor productions of Shakespeare and other playwrights
Tip: Many comedians test out their material in Lake District venues before launching a major tour. So you could be the one to hear That Joke first!
7. Team up for an adventure
Looking for a unique or quirky experience? From axe-throwing to meditating with courses, our Unusual Lake District Activities blog will get you thinking.
What do you think are some of the best things to do in the Lake District for couples?
Disclaimer: We’ve tried to be as accurate as possible when writing this article, but information can change. Please check for yourself before making any decisions based on this blog.